Thursday 15 January 2015

Kitchen Time

Although this is 'the first post', I'm saving all that 'first post' blah blah for later. When I can write for a while knowing the smallest offspring is down for a proper nap, not her current sort, which is 'might be asleep, might not be'.

Yesterday was the first day of doing some industrial level (for me) sugar free cooking.  I've got myself a copy of 'I Quit Sugar: For Life' by Sarah Wilson, and read it in one hit cover to cover a couple of weeks ago, to help me revitalise my sugar free life, which has fallen by the wayside since the smallest offspring's birth at the end of November.  Inside the book I fell in love with SO many of the recipes, tips and ideas that I knew I'd done the right thing blowing the Christmas gift budget on myself.

Yesterday's makings included:

Homemade Cream Cheese


Had to sacrifice one of the Seahorse's muslin wraps for this, but SO worth it to see the creamy cheese forming. I'm sure you could use any old cloth really - even a clean tea towel would work. This is basically just labneh - same exact technique. I'm looking forward to experimenting with flavours - adding spices and herbs to jazz it up. But for now it's waiting in the fridge, along with the lovely whey that was strained off.

Berry Banana Ice Blocks


I modified these from the original which uses Mango - even though mango is one of my top five favourite fruits - as we had frozen berries and bananas already. Added the rice malt syrup as it's the first time making them, so I wasn't sure on the sweetness for the troops who are still keen on sugary treats. Be warned: you have GOT to love coconut cream if you make these! Additional note for any food styling types - plastic bear-face tops on ice blocks is very 'now'. Just saying.

Chocolate Co-Co Nutty Granola Clusters


Somehow I decided not (completely forgot) to roughly chop the nuts before toasting them in the oven, but nothing that can't be fixed by a large knife when I head back to the kitchen. I'm looking forward to eating this with thick Greek yoghurt, or grabbing handfuls when I get the chocolate munchies.

If anyone knows where to get 85% Cocoa chocolate in New Zealand can you let me know? I'd love to try some of the choc recipes in the book, but really, it's a bit like cheating if I use regular chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment